Friday, October 2, 2009

Support: An Ex and a Piece of Art

Today I got a package in the mail from an address that looked vaguely familiar. The return address had no name and I was struggling to figure out who might have sent it. My first clue was the package itself. It was a photo mailer specifically for the purpose of mailing photographs. Then it hit me, it was from an ex boyfriend who returned to Florida a year or so ago and was living in the same house he lived in while we were dating. He is an artist, a photographer, I dated about 4 years ago. We ended things on bad terms. He told me that he did not want to be with a sick person. We have not kept in touch but my bitterness and anger have dissolved since then. 

Despite the way the relationship ended, I continued to love his artwork. In fact, I have 3 of his framed pieces hanging on my walls right now. They've been up for years and I absolutely adore them. I have always been able to separate in my head, the ex from the artist. He is a brilliant artist and I do hope that he finds the success he deserves. 2 of the pieces that are hanging on my wall are easily my most prized possessions. One of his photographs that I am lucky enough to own is still one of my most favorite photographs of all time. 

I feel the need to provide this back story because the significance of the package he mailed me would be lost without it. When I opened the package, I found a letter, a diagram and a stack of photographs. The letter reads:

"Dear Amanda, 
I heard about your state of health. I know you might find this hard to believe but I do care, worry, and hope for a speedy recovery. I do not mean to disturb or disrupt your life, but I made this piece with you in mind to keep you in a positive mood. I cannot even begin to understand or feel what you are going through.
This piece shows the mundane that exists in the world that is happening outside your window but at the same time it has a beauty that is unique. You can hang it anyway you like but I made a diagram of the order in which I think it looks best. I know that you might view this work differently so understand that you can personalize it.
You are not forgotten in my mind and I do wish for you a very positive outcome in every aspect of your life. This comes from my heart."

After I read the letter, I picked up the diagram and the stack of photographs. On the back of each photograph is a number that corresponds to the diagram. I cleared off my bed and began arranging them according to the diagram. It was actually fun and exciting to build this and see what it would become. There were 21 photographs that were arranged in about 6 or 7 rows. The photographs were of all sorts of things like storm clouds, flowers, wall paper, cats, a stop sign, a foggy, rain streaked window and a set of keys. When I was finished putting this puzzle together, I stepped back to take it all in.

I was overwhelmed. Here is a gift that is meant to help me see and feel connected to the world I was currently missing out on. Here is effort and warmth and concern from such a surprising source. Here was a piece of art from one of my most favorite artists that was made with me in mind. Here is an enormous get well soon from someone who couldn't handle my illness once upon a time. It was beautiful. I love every bit of it, the letter, the diagram, the giant puzzle of photographs. I love the idea of someone finding a way to help me experience the world until I get well and can experience it for myself. This is a kind of support that came out of nowhere. I feel so grateful for it.



No comments: