Monday, October 5, 2009

Anti-Inflammatory Diet and Clothes That Don't Hurt

Yep, that about covers it. Last night I started the anti-inflammatory diet I mentioned in yesterday's post. To recap, the diet consists of 3 days of eating only turkey, rice and pears. The idea is that these foods are bland and will not make inflammation worse. It gives your body a little break. It was prescribed by my holistic doctor, an MD and a Naturopath, years ago to address inflammation in my joints. I didn't look too far into it, but I'm guessing that these foods were also chosen because they have some soothing properties. Anyway, I've only done this once or twice and it's really not so bad. I chose jasmine rice because it's delicious and whole grain. I may throw in some brown rice too. Ideally, the turkey should be the least processed and most chemical free you can find. I usually just get the best lunch meat at the deli counter. And that's it. For 3 days I will eat just that and hope it helps.

And, yes, the clothing situation has devolved into wearing light cotton dresses. Since I've been staying in, I'm just wearing pajama dresses. If I need to go somewhere, I suppose I will put on a real dress. But, jeans are out. Anything with a waist band of any kind is out. Tight tops or tanks with built in bras are out too. That pretty much leaves dresses. Dresses don't hurt.

God, this inflammation is really getting old. I hope it's just a Herx or a flare and not indicative of something else. I'm pretty sure it's just harmless, Lyme related inflammation. Again today, it's bad. It is very similar to yesterday, possibly a bit less severe. It finally occurred to me to take Aleve yesterday and it did help a little. I do know that NSAIDs are not ideal and shouldn't be taken often but I think this situation calls for them.

I am just going to lay low because overdoing it is another connection I've made to increased inflammation. It may be a coincidence but since the Sunday before last there have been 2 extremely bad days. The first day, that Sunday before last, of this inflammation followed an evening out for a bachelorette party. The party started at 7:30pm and I spent the whole day baking cupcakes just for the bride-to-be. Like I said in a previous post, I didn't drink or push myself too hard. But, that was the first time I had gone out in a while and it did involve a good amount of walking in heels. That evening followed weeks of being in bed most days and I suppose it's possible that I overdid it. The other extremely bad day was yesterday. I spent most of Saturday out shopping, going to dinner and seeing a late movie. I was on my feet for hours shopping. I didn't nap that day and was so worn out by the end. Then, just like the Sunday before, I woke up on Sunday in extreme pain. Is it a coincidence or a connection?

No comments: