Friday, October 2, 2009

Everything Still Hurts

Yes, everything does, in fact, still hurt. But the good news is that it definitely hurts less! Let's see, my entire body still hurts to touch. However, the inflammation is continuing to go down and so is the extreme tenderness. It still really hurts to touch just about anywhere on my abdomen and my back, neck and shoulders. But things are returning to normal. For example, I was able to carry my purse on my shoulder last night! I can now fold my arms, put my hands on my hips and shower with less pain. But, getting dressed was painful as I pulled a tight tank top over my head and down my torso. The pressure of the fabric as I pulled it over my rib cage and stomach made me cringe. I'm also able to wear jeans, although the pressure of the button is still painful. At least the pain of pillows pressing into my skin has improved so that I can rest more easily. 

Yesterday I did a whole bunch of stuff. After days and days of not being able to get out of bed, I got up and washed my hair, did 2 loads of laundry, and made some important phone calls. I also did some very, very light cleaning and straightening up in my room. I was even able to blow dry my hair! I didn't nap at all yesterday and felt very worn out by the end of the day. I slept a full 12 hours last night, as usual, but woke up feeling pretty tired still. Did I overdo it yesterday? I hope not. I hope I'll get some of my energy back as the day goes on. 

Another symptom popped up a few days ago that is finally bad enough for me to address. I've been experiencing acid reflux again. It's been a huge problem on and off since I had my gallbladder removed last year. A common problem after gallbladder removal is the development of GERD. I have all the classic elements of GERD that I control mostly with diet. I have taken courses of Prilosec on and off over the last year with great success. Prilosec makes it go away completely. It really is a wonderful product. But, like I said, I can control it well with dietary adjustments. 

For the occasions when I really want something that I know will cause a reflux attack like anything with red sauce or coffee on an empty stomach, I take Prelief. 


Prelief neutralizes the acid in food and keeps it from causing problems. You can find it just about anywhere, Publix, Target, drugstores, etc. It costs about $8. I keep a few tablets with me at all times just in case. It really does help a lot. 

So, acid reflux problems are back and I'm not sure why. My best guess is that the new antibiotic Cedax is the problem. I don't think it has much to do with Cedax speciifically. I think any antibiotic is going to aggravate GERD. This time it's bad enough to make me start another course of Prilosec. I will just make sure to talk my doctor about it at the next follow-up and see what he has to say about it.

Other than that, I feel well enough to venture out today. I'm still really wiped out but I think I can manage some errands. That's it for now.

No comments: