Sunday, May 24, 2009

I slept in until 1:30pm this afternoon. Now that I am more fully awake, I have taken inventory. So far, I am congested and have another mild fever (99.3). Again, low-grade fevers are just a part of Lyme and usually aren't cause for concern. If they coincide with cold or flu symptoms, however, that is another story. Everyone around me seems to have a cold right now; I am afraid it is only a matter of time before it comes for me. So I'm doing everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen. Here's the plan:

1.) Avoid sick people at all costs.
2.) Start Mucinex to manage congestion. Mucus essentially lays out a welcome mat for bacteria and can increase the risk of infection. I called my pharmacist today to make sure that there aren't any interactions with Mucinex and my many medications. There aren't any interactions. The only thing I need to do is take it 2 hours away from all other medications. That means that I have to space out 5 doses of different medications today. That will take 10 hours. I hope I'll be awake for that long.
3.) Continue all immune system support and preventive measures. This includes frequent hand washing for 15-20 seconds, sanitizing hands often and before taking any medications, temporarily taking high dose vitamins (ex. Airborne), wearing surgical masks at home since my mother is sick.
4.) Fever reducers, as needed. 
5.) Rest.

All of this combined with the continuation of Doxycycline and Flagyl should help prevent infection. If it works, then I will still be able to say that I haven't gotten sick or been to urgent care once in 2009. 

No comments: