Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Everything Hurts: Parts II & III

Sunday, September 27th was day one of the "Everything Hurts" pain. Literally, as you can see by the post below, everything did hurt. Well, Monday and Tuesday were rounds two and three of that same pain. 

On Monday, the pain was identical to that of Sunday. I guess I expected it to hang around for a day, maybe. But no, it decided to stay longer. Monday was full of all of the same bizarre patches of sensitivity all over my body that hurt to touch even lightly. I described below a few of the startling limitations this pain caused. Well, after I wrote and posted that, I got dressed and went out to a movie with my family. I chose a pair of dark jeans that have a bit of stretch to them, thinking they would be more comfortable than other more confining choices. I was wrong. My lower abdomen, that space just below the belly button, hurt so much that the button on my jeans created extremely painful pressure. 20 minutes into the movie, I had to unbutton my jeans to get some relief. I also took an instant release morphine, 2 Aleve, cyclobenzaprine and Lyrica to try to manage the pain while I was out. Even still, I had to get up and rub Biofreeze over my SI and hip joints so I could make it through the movie. I literally did everything I could do to manage the pain that day. Well, Monday was exactly the same except I didn't go anywhere or do anything. I stayed in bed all day, taking a very long nap in the afternoon and just resting with my eyes closed for the rest of the evening. I was vaguely aware of a few calls and messages I received that evening, but kept drifting in and out of what felt like a light coma. 

By yesterday, Tuesday, September 29, the inflammation and pain seemed to have gone down a bit. My skin still hurt to touch all over, especially in those areas like my lower abdomen, left side, SI joints, rib cage, chest, thighs, etc. By then I had also noticed how very badly my shoulders hurt, so much so that I could not wear my purse on my shoulder because the pressure was simply too much. So, I carried it in my hand instead. But yesterday, while the sensitivity of my skin had decreased a bit-as evidenced by the fact that I could fold my arms and let them rest against my body again-this deep muscle pain in my neck, shoulders, and upper back became incredibly intense. It felt like I slept in a strange position so that moving my head from side to side hurt pretty badly. And when I went to lie to down to nap at 2pm and then again at 6pm, getting into a comfortable position was nearly impossible. Add to the fact that my entire body felt badly bruised, my muscles ached as I attempted to settle into any position in bed. It was awful. Every time I lifted myself out of bed or lowered myself down into it, I actually cringed and said ouch out loud. It was bad.

Again, I spent the entire day napping and resting in bed. The only differences between yesterday and Monday was that yesterday I had to leave the house for an appointment with my psychologist and I had to take a pain pill to get enough relief to go to sleep. Actually, the latter set yesterday apart from most days. I very rarely need an instant release pain pill to manage pain at home or in bed. Usually just resting or using ice packs is enough. But last night I just couldn't stand it anymore. The pain in my neck, shoulders and back was so intense that I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. It almost felt like my bones were settling or rubbing against each other when I got into bed. Just like the pain that made my whole body hurt to touch, I was confused by the source and intensity of this deep muscle pain. 

No comments: