Saturday, November 14, 2009

It's 8:30am on a Saturday and I'm up for no reason. I don't know why I bother with the part about it being Saturday, I suppose to clarify the injustice of being awake early on a weekend. But, it's always the weekend for me these days. It must be the principle of the thing.

So here I am. I sat up and downed this morning's handful of pills then got right back in bed. Normally I would be racing for the kitchen, in as much as I can "race" anywhere, for food and coffee. But not this morning. This morning, and last night for that matter, I don't really have much of an appetite. Maybe I'm still sick. I'm on steroids, I should have an enormous appetite. I did have an enormous appetite last time I took such a high dose. Maybe it is yet to come. Maybe I'm adjusting to that particular side effect. Or, again, maybe I'm sick. Hard to say.

The funny and sad part about all of this came after the realization that I'm still in bed and not in the kitchen getting breakfast. My first thought, at 8:30am on a Saturday when most people are making plans to go out to eat or do yard work or go downtown or what have you, was, "Nice, I'll be awake for a long time today, and that means extra meals and snacks, and that means many opportunities to take all the different medications I need to take with food, nice and far apart from each other." Yeah, I know, it's depressing. I got excited for a minute at the thought that I'll have lots of time to take all my medicine. The worst part came next. I looked at the clock and thought, "Well, appetite or no appetite, I better get started. Don't waste this opportunity!" Yeah, I know, that's even more depressing. I'm lying here, not feeling very well, pressuring myself to "get started" and not waste time when there are precious meals to eat and pills to take. What a sad state of affairs!

No comments: